Polished concrete floors can be a beautiful look for any home, office or retail space. The polish adds durability to the concrete surface, protecting it from scratches and scrapes. However, polished concrete surfaces tend to lose their sheen over time, so they do require good maintenance.
Floors in high-traffic areas such as shops and commercial facilities should be polished regularly to keep them looking clean and shiny. However, these types of floors are easier to maintain than other decorative concrete surfaces as they do not require additional waxing or sealing.
Daily cleaning for polished concrete floors
You should try to sweep or mop polished floors once a day to remove any dirt that might scratch the polish. Dust, sand and dirt are abrasive and can remove the polish easily if they are not cleaned daily. Remember to use clean water and a neutral-pH detergent when mopping polished concrete floors.
Try to use a soft mop or cloth to clean the floor so that it does not scrape the dirt across the polished surface. The more traffic across the floor, the more often it should be cleaned. Here are some tips for keeping your concrete floor shiny:
- Dust mop the floor every day with a microfiber cloth to keep dust and soil off the floor. These particles are abrasive and can ruin the shine of polished concrete.
- If you are wet-mopping the floor, use clean water and a soft mop. Try to use a neutral-pH cleaner (one that is not acidic or alkaline) to protect the polish.
- Clean spills from the floor as soon as you can to prevent them from becoming stains. Once a liquid is absorbed into the polish, it can become difficult to remove.
- Give your detergents enough time to break down tough grime, such as grease or oil. These cleaning agents need to sit on the surface of the concrete floor for a few minutes to loosen the dirt.
- Do not let the detergents dry on the surface as they can stain the polish themselves. Clean small areas at a time to prevent this from happening.
By following these tips, you will keep your polished floor looking clean and shiny, no matter how many people walk across the surface. A daily cleaning routine will increase the lifespan of your concrete floors and ensure that the polish lasts a long time.
LafargeHolcim is a leading building materials and solutions company that has been operating in international markets for decades. We produce cement and aggregates for construction projects, ranging from small affordable housing developments to large-scale infrastructure projects such as high-rise buildings, dams and bridges.
LafargeHolcim Tanzania has been supplying the country and neighbouring countries with our world-class Tembo cement brand for over 30 years. Our head office and fully-integrated plant are located in Mbeya, Southwest Tanzania.
At LafargeHolcim Tanzania, we believe customers come first. We listen to your specific requirements to supply and develop the best solutions for your needs. As the new leader in building materials, you can also rely on our cutting-edge research and development capabilities that have resulted in the finest materials for your construction projects, whether large or small.